By the Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce:
Daniel Webster School, a Ballard landmark first constructed in 1908 (with an addition in 1930), was recently renovated to house Licton Springs K-8 school.
In 1980, the Nordic Heritage Museum leased this building and many of the rooms were remodeled for exhibits. The museum ended its lease in 2018, giving Seattle Public Schools an opportunity to bring it back into service as a school.
This $29 million project consisted of a 53,000-square-foot modernization and addition of the historically landmarked school. Work involved upgrades to the unreinforced masonry structure, gym addition and connector, renovation of the building system and finishes, and extensive site improvements.
Because of the age of the building, accurate as-built information was limited. Extensive investigations and verification of the existing building were conducted using laser scanning and other tools, enabling confident design development and coordinated construction.
Special care was taken to preserve key features of the original building. The architecturally significant exterior was preserved, protected and, in some cases, replicated. Several interior spaces, including the commons, central hallways, and grand staircase, are also historically significant and similar procedures were implemented.